Question: Right abdomen pain for more than a year??

riddick - Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:19 am

I have this pain on my right abdomen for maybe more than a year. It is mostly a spot pain. It is disturbing but not as severe as what other people have. I did go to a doctor for endoscopy and he said there is nothing wrong about me. However the pain never goes away. Somedays it is sharp, sometimes its not even there. Sometimes there is also pain on my back too. When I go to swimming I can feel this pain more afterwards. The sitting position seems to affect it too. However I don't believe that this is a muscular dysfunction. I do have digestion problems too. It can be inherited from my parents because they have digestion problem also. Can it be my gallbladder? If so should I see a gastroenterologist or a general physican ? However after reading these forums I don't really think that general physicans are capable of figuring this problem out.

Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:03 pm

User avatar Dear riddick,

Causes of recurrent Pain in the Right side of the abdomen include:

Gall Bladder or Biliary diseases :
in these cases the pain is felt as
-Fullness or gas,
-Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occurs mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radiates to the back or below the right shoulder.
-Associated with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn
-Chest pain under the breastbone

Renal pain:
Pains due to renal problems (like ureteric stones, strictures) are colicky pains, felt in the abdomen, back and radiate down to the groin and, commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency.

IBS:
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

Appendicitis:
The pain if felt in the flank and the back and if associated with mild fever and leucocytosis.

Pancreatitis:
Pancreatitis usually presents with severe acute abdominal pain that is felt in the upper abdomen and or in the back. In mild chronic cases the pain s mild and becomes more severe with eating and is associated in many cases with nausea and vomiting, fever and tachycardia. Ultra sonogaraphy shows characteristic changes in the pancrease.

Hepatitis (chronic) in which the pain is felt mainly in the upper part of the right side of the abdomen as vague abdominal pain, associated with elevated enzymes and sometimes increased level of billirubin.

The possibility of muscle pain is there especially that your pain is related to certain posture and physical exercise.

Required investigations include:
Complete blood picture CBC Blood chemistry : like serum amylase lipase, liver enzymes.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.

|