Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Gallstones or Liver problem ??

liberty - Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:27 pm

I am sorry this is long. I will try and be as brief as I can.

I wonder if there is anyone who can give advice on whether you think I have got gallstone problems or if it is more likely some thing wrong with my liver.

InAugust I was really sick and had 4 *pain attacks* which frightened thelife out of me. I rangthe Dr and he said it was just inflammation as I had been so severely sick. Afterthe worst attack which lasted for 8 hours I went to the Dr and they took blood and referred me for a scan. The blood came back t hat very day and they phoned me and said my liver function tests were so grossly abnormal. Levels of 1300. They asked me to go back and have more tests done.

That time it was down to 689 in 2 days and they tested for Hepatitis - which was all negative.

A week later it was down to 129 and 2 weeks later was normal.

The Drs said that I had some *mystery virus* which we would probably never know what was wrong. I also had had jaundice and orange pee. All of which is gallstone symptoms.

It takes ages for scans here and when my levels were normal the Dr said that he didnt think it was gallstones as the levels in the blood dropped too sharply. Gallstones do not produce those sorts of results. They are a more drastic recovery.

He said he didnt think I should have a scan as it could bethat I DID have gallstones inside me but that it wasnt necessarily what was wrong with me.

The scan appt came through and of course I did go AND it showed gallstones !! 1 large one and lots of small ones.

Now they are saying wait and see if I have more attacks.

Well since August/Early September I have not had a *pain attack* but I have been very sore and uncomfortable in right upper quadrant , in ribs etc.

I thought gallbladder pain was all or nothing ? Not a constant ache like t his ??

So my question is - do you think that it has been all gallstones since the beginning or is it possible there is something else wrong with my liver ??

I'm afraid to eat or drink anything much. Trying to diet anyway as I am overweight but I am scared to eat anything really fatty, or anything creamy as that seemed to set off the last and worst attack (A creamy pie dessert) ...... also not sure whether to drink any wine as if it isthe liver I don tknow if drinking alcohol may bring the pain back.

When I hadthe scan the scanner lady said that I had stones in t here but to be very careful about havign it out as so many people rush to do that and it isnt that at all ???

So any help or advice or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and sorry it is so long.

Liberty.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:28 am

User avatar Dear liberty,

- A possible scenario is that the common bile duct was occluded by one of these stones which moved quickly allowing d proper bile flow and rapid recovery of the liver problem.

- Another possibility is acute pancreatits.
Pancreatitis usually presents with severe acute abdominal pain that is felt in the upper abdomen and or in the back. In mild cases the pain s mild and becomes more severe with eating and is associated in many cases with nausea and vomiting, fever and tachycardia. Ultra sonogaraphy shows characteristic changes in the pancrease

Elevated levels occur in many disorders including: hepatic disease, active cirrhosis, infection or toxic hepatitis, pancreatitis, myocardial infarction.

Liver enzymes known as aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) are elevated when common bile duct stones are present.

If obstruction of the biliary system is suspected Alkaline phosphatase level should be measured as it is elevated in such cases.

A threefold or more increase in ALT strongly suggests pancreatitis.
When the cause of pancreatitis is gallstones, surgery is usually needed to remove them. Mild cases (mild) require a week to recover from their symptoms.

- Also a viral hepatitis gives similar clinical picture, but the course of the disease is different. Viral Hepatitis include (HAV, HBV, HCV, etc.)

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful,

|