"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Blood in Stools

njhelp - Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:46 pm

There is blood in my stools. It is bright red and seems to come after I go to the bathroom. It seems like a lot of blood and is there when I wipe after going to the bathroom. What do you think this is? Should I call the doctor? It has only happened once today, should I wait to see if it happens again? I had a baby 8 months ago, and I don't know if this would have anything to do with it. There is some burning, but it is minor, it just feels irritated. Thank you so much for your help.
 angel2close - Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:22 am

Sounds as if you have a case of hemmoroids. These are very common, and frequently develop during pregnancy. When irritated by straining with stools or even with diarrhea, one may have some bright red bleeding. Many OTC medications are available for the discomfort and to ease the passing of stools.