Question: Hiatal Hernia

JD - Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:25 am

I have had chest, shoulder and arm pain and tingling for a month now. I have had a full cadiac work-up, EKG, Stress Echo, etc. My cardiologist said he is 99.999% sure the pains are not from the heart. I do have high blood pressure which is controlled by 160mg of Diovan once per day. The cardiologist said I could have a CT heart scan if it made me feel better.

I have also had an endoscopy which showed that I have a "small" hiatal hernia. I asked the Dr. if this could be causing the pains. He said that he didn't "think" so. I have had GERD for 8 years controlled now with Protonix.

Can a hiatal hernia cause chest, shoulder and arm pain and why? Do you think a CT Heart Scan is necessary.
 michiganeagle - Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi, I am 40 years old and for 4 years I have had chest pains off and on. But withing the last 2 years the pain has gotten worse. I now have it every day. If I do things the pain gets worse. When the pain is bad I can barely move around and have to sleep sitting on the couch. I have been to the ER many times for the pain and have had x-rays, EKG's, and blood work done, all are okay. They give me shots of demeral and send me home. I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, hiatus hernia, diabeties, high cholesterol, and chronic pain. The doctors have come up with many diagnosis for the chest pain: fibromyalgia, costiochondritis, and now the pain management doctor doesn't know what it is. They have tried anti- inflamatory medications and anti-depressant medications. But nothing seems to work except for pain medications, which they won't give to me. The pain starts in the middle of my chest/ribs and goes into my back and all the way around and down my right arm. The pain gets really bad and it's hard to do anything. There are days that I just sit and cry because the pain is bad. Any suggestions. Please. :(
 JD - Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:33 pm

I would recommend that you see a gastroenterologist. Based upon what I have read all your pains can come from a hiatal hernia. I find that the mind is your worst enemy. The more you think about it the worse it gets.

If I get a good report back from my Coronary CT Angiogram, I am going to force my gasto to check me over again. I don't believe that he did a good job. He said I had a small hiatal hernia, thats is. Not what kind, the size or if it could be causing me the pain I am having.

Good luck and I hope you get some better answers.

|