News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Hiatal Hernia

JD - Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:25 am

I have had chest, shoulder and arm pain and tingling for a month now. I have had a full cadiac work-up, EKG, Stress Echo, etc. My cardiologist said he is 99.999% sure the pains are not from the heart. I do have high blood pressure which is controlled by 160mg of Diovan once per day. The cardiologist said I could have a CT heart scan if it made me feel better.

I have also had an endoscopy which showed that I have a "small" hiatal hernia. I asked the Dr. if this could be causing the pains. He said that he didn't "think" so. I have had GERD for 8 years controlled now with Protonix.

Can a hiatal hernia cause chest, shoulder and arm pain and why? Do you think a CT Heart Scan is necessary.
 michiganeagle - Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi, I am 40 years old and for 4 years I have had chest pains off and on. But withing the last 2 years the pain has gotten worse. I now have it every day. If I do things the pain gets worse. When the pain is bad I can barely move around and have to sleep sitting on the couch. I have been to the ER many times for the pain and have had x-rays, EKG's, and blood work done, all are okay. They give me shots of demeral and send me home. I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, hiatus hernia, diabeties, high cholesterol, and chronic pain. The doctors have come up with many diagnosis for the chest pain: fibromyalgia, costiochondritis, and now the pain management doctor doesn't know what it is. They have tried anti- inflamatory medications and anti-depressant medications. But nothing seems to work except for pain medications, which they won't give to me. The pain starts in the middle of my chest/ribs and goes into my back and all the way around and down my right arm. The pain gets really bad and it's hard to do anything. There are days that I just sit and cry because the pain is bad. Any suggestions. Please. :(
 JD - Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:33 pm

I would recommend that you see a gastroenterologist. Based upon what I have read all your pains can come from a hiatal hernia. I find that the mind is your worst enemy. The more you think about it the worse it gets.

If I get a good report back from my Coronary CT Angiogram, I am going to force my gasto to check me over again. I don't believe that he did a good job. He said I had a small hiatal hernia, thats is. Not what kind, the size or if it could be causing me the pain I am having.

Good luck and I hope you get some better answers.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here