News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Anal odors Please help!

Lookingforfuture - Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:37 am

Please help, if somebody have some info. I'm 35 years female, have IBS and gastrit. But my big and main problem is that I pass gas. Sometimes it smells like stool, but sometimes it is like a food I ate before( worst) . It hapens during all day, doesn't matter what I ate. I am taking famotidine 20mg and citrucel (it makes stool bulky, if I don't take it I have to use bathroom 4-5 times a day) I had appointment with my doctor, she prescribed Levbid for IBS,but it makes things worst. So I went to another doctor, had colonoscopy, which was found to be within normal limits. Then my doc sent me to Center of Pelvic Physiology. I had tests. Results are that I have a signs of extarnal hemorroid and some skin tags, but no fistulas or something like that. Also they said As I have a very good resting and squeeze pressures and no real past history that would be suspicious for sphincter defect, there is no sing of any sphincter dysfuncions.And I had puborectalis muscle fiber recruitment study. It shows that I have some pelvic floor dysfuntions.( Don't understand what's a difference). My Doc was honest with me, he said I'm sorry I can't help you with this, try to minimaze your gas. I tried
Beano, charcoal, creon10(pancreatic enzemes, it helps but makes constipation). I don't eat fat, fried food, avoid milk and sweets, I do exersise(Kegel) and others for abs, walk.Tried D-Flat. It seems that nothing can help. I feel ashame when people around me noticed that it smells so badly. I had a problems with my co-workers, I am afraid to go out to dine, etc. Please, help me. Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:42 am

User avatar Hi Lookingforfuture,
Alternative treatments that may provide relief of flatulence related to IBS are peppermint oil in the form of enteric coated capsules, Fennel seed (an herb) used to treat spasms, etc. You may want to discuss with your physician about attempting alternative treatments and see what his/her suggestions are about their use.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here