News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdnominal Pain

lonewolf_125 - Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:35 am

My Wife has been complaining of lower right abdoman pain rating between 6 - 9 on a scale of 1 - 10 and mild nausea for 11 days. I have taken her to the emergancy room 3 times in the 11 days of her discomfort. They drew blood and did a CAT scan on 02/13/04, which came back normal. On 2/17/04 She spiked a temp of 100.3 which lasted for only about an hour, this is the first time since she started having this pain that she has ran a temp. She currently complains of nausea, Right lower abdominal pain rated at a 3 on a scale of 1 - 10, and that she feels like she is burning up but her temp is only 98.4.what should i do?Please respond ASAP.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:22 pm

User avatar Dear Lonewolf_125,

Abdominal pain is one of the difficult symptoms to be evaluated by physicians, reason being that the abdomen contains quite a few organs. And this makes the pain a non-specific symptom pretty much most of the time unless it has typical features pointing to a specific organ (which is not the case in most of the times). Diagnosis is usually helped by the associated symptoms that the patient has in conjunction with the abdominal pain. This is usually a step in the way of diagnosis. The next step is physical examintation. And in certain cases, if deemed needed by the examining physician, pelvic/rectal exams in females and genital/rectal exams in males have to be done. Did your wife have a pevic exam during her e.r. visit? Was a urine test done? Has she had her appendix/or gall bladder removed? What about her appetite? Was a pregnancy test done? What were they looking for when they did the ct scan of the abdomen? What they told they thought the reason behind her abdominal pain?

Fever (although this is not fever yet) could be an indication for an infection like a urinary tract infection or a female genital tract infection.

If the fever gets worse or your wife's abdmoinal pain gets worse, i guess you have to seek medical advice once more. i would call her primary care physician now and get an appointment to be seen once more.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here