Question: Abdominal/genital pain

ARG - Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:46 pm

Hi. I am a 29 year old male (UK) and have been having various pains for around three months, since the beginning of December. They started as testicular pains that affected either or both testes at any time, with no 'action' that seemed to start the pains. A week or so after these pains began, I also started getting abdominal pains, just above my pubic region, on either the left or right side.

I visited my doctor and he prescribed some antibiotics which had no effect. Around Christmas time, I saw him again and he just prescribed more antibiotics, but also referred me to the local hospital (our hospitals need a doctors referral before an appointment is made there). I haven't been examined by the doctor at all, on any of the times I have seen him. Whether that is standard practise of not I have no idea.

Since the abdominial pains started, the testicular ones have more or less gone away, but I do occasionally feel discomfort there, and they are tender to the touch. I have also noticed the veins around my penis and testes seem more pronounced and are darker than I have noticed them previously - whether that is just something I have never taken notice of before I can't be sure.

My doctor mentioned abdominal infection and possible kidney problems when he told me that I was being referred to the hospital, and that is the extent of the possible conditions he told me it could be. I have just received a letter that states my hospital appointment will be 17 weeks away, at least the beginning of May before I will be seen by them. The pain is still there, has been worse for the last few days and I am getting worried that leaving it until my hospital appointment arrives isn't the best thing to do. Visiting the doctor again will probably only result in another batch of antibiotics which haven't worked previously. I'm sure you can tell, I'm not very confident in the abilities of my doctor, so would like some extra advice if possible.

Thanks in advance,
ARG
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:57 pm

There are many possible causes of testicular pain, these include: trauma or surgery; torsion of the testicles; infections such as epididymitis or orchitis; varicocele and hydrocele; referred pain from a kidney stone; an inguinal hernia or pelvic congestion. Pain can also be referred to the testicles from conditions such as ureteric stones or spinal pathology.

Varicocele can lead to discomfort around the testicle, rather than actual pain in the testicle itself. A varicocele is formed when the veins that drain blood away from the testicles in the scrotum become varicose. This feels like a bag of worms at the top of the testicle on the affected side and the veins themselves may be tender to the touch. The discomfort is of a dragging, aching nature, and wearing a supportive pair of pants will help.

A doctor can distinguish between swollen veins and the normal underlying testicle through an examination. In moderate to severe cases, an operation to remove the varicose veins is curative.

You must be examined in order to determine the cause of your symptoms. That is the standard procedure.

|