Question: Chronic Stomach Problems - Scared!

mystomachhurtsguy - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:10 pm

I've had a rough year. It started with what I thought was a lump in my scrotum but turned out to be a spermatocele. That triggered my concerns and thereafter I began having trouble focusing my eyes and they seemd to move around uncontrollably. Finally, Dr's said I had Sinusitis. I took antibiotics and courses of nasal sprays. Things settled down and I began to feel better. During this time I also was concerned I could perhaps have a serious disease such as HIV or Cancer. I had a test for HIV which was negative and I was completely abstinant for the 4 months prior.

2-Months later after feeling healthy I began having abnormal stools. They were a caramel color instead of the usual darker brown. They were also much softer. I began to get concerned but didn't think about it too much. Then one day, about a week after having anal sex (I'm a gay male), I had a lot of blood and a cramping stomach. I took immodium thinking it was a hemorrhoid causing the bleeding. Since then, I have never had blood in my stool (it's been 4 months). However, I do have lots of mucus in my stool and bouts of diarrhea and stomach cramps. Sometimes things get normal other times I have to run to the bathroom.

Another symptom I get is this feeling of being "wired." I do not drink caffeine or teas or anything, I'm very conscious of my stomach now which always feels a little upset/tender (though not to the touch). This wired episodes come and go. I've also noticed little tiny poppy seed black things when I have my most severe cases of diarrhea. There is usually mucus when my stomach is upset. Dr. said I have IBS but I'm not so sure. I haven't lost weight but it seems I've lost muscle weight and I also feel depressed. I also have trouble sleeping.

Any ideas what this could be?? Is it all in my head?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:36 pm

User avatar Dear mystomachhurtsguy,

IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.

The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Mucous in stools
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them.

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis and to differentiate them from other Inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis that give similar picture.
These tests include Colonoscopy and Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to update him with any new symptoms.
I hope you find this information helpful.

|