Question: gerd and symptons

wanda - Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:53 pm

Doctor,

A while back my doctor told me i have gerd. I now have frequent heartburn and regurgitation after almost every meal. I also have diarrhea almost every day and my stools are all broken up and have a bad smell. What should i do? Thank you.

Wanda
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:04 pm

The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Any defect in this regulated controlled mechanism would cause Reflux of the harmful gastric acid into the esophagus.

Esophagitis is a known complication of GERD and can lead to esophageal spasm, that can alone give similar clinical picture.

Prokinetic drug that strengthens the sphincter and improves the gastric emptying. When there is an acid reflux it is not enough to treat the symptoms with one drug instead the addition of Anti acids, Acid H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors mat help to control the symptoms.
Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods.

Surgery is considered only if lifestyle changes and medications did not improve the condition or if complications are present.

Other causes for symptoms similar to yours include gastritis and H pylori infection which can be diagnosed by certain investigations that include Specific tests for H.pylori.(breath test).

Regarding, the diarrhea, I would think of that as a separate problem that needs a stool examination. You have also to check if you are receiving any drugs that may cause GI troubles.
Mean while, try to compensate your self with enough fluids and light food.

|