News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: 12 year abdominal pain - WHY??!

moo - Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:06 pm

about 12 years ago i had violent lower right abdo pain, almost in my groin, that caused me to double over. I was hospitalized, had an ultrasound and they found a small ovarian cyst so removed it via laparoscopy, but it had already burst by the time they got to it.

About once or twice a year since then I have had the exact same pain in the exact same area - a violent stabbing pain in a very specific/small area just above the crease in my leg / groin. The pain can only be relieved by morphine and I am usually in hospital for about a week while they do tests.

I have been tested for everything from endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst (they never found another one), appendicitis, irritable bowel syndrome , and more - and some doctors have even told me it's all in myhead !! I ALWAYS have ultrasound and pelvic exam when I am admitted to hospital, which are clear.

It has recently ruined my honeymoon and I had 5 days in a caribbean hospital instead of on the beach; the hospital found nothing. They gave me IV Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) for 5 days and this helped minimally with the doubling over/spasm.

I have been unable to link these pains with food, menstrual cycle, stress, sex, and kept a very good diary for many years, and had several years off work because of these pains.

The healthcare system are now sick of seeing me and think I make it up. Please help with more suggestions. After 12 years of this and never knowing when it will strike, it is stressful sometimes.

thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:59 am

User avatar Dear moo,

After all that have been done, it is going to be tough for me to speculate about the reason that you are having this pain.

i have a couple of thoughts. There is something called mittleshmertz, which a german term referring to the pain that some females experience during ovulation and it could be very excruciating sometimes.

Do you think that you had a pinworm infection the first time you had the pain and do you think that the pinworm infection that you are having is related to this pain.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 cottonw - Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 pm

yes, i've had this problem too. three times in the past 2.5 years. the last one was weeks ago, and the previous just five months before.
i have endo and it happens about a week before i'm due to ovulate. then it gets worse about a week before the endo/period starts and eventually calms down. takes six weeks in all to heal up - whatever it is. i find it's best to minimise walking/moving around and no exercising. especially no yoga that involves stretching backwards - that makes it heaps worse.
it's agonising and i get doubled over and take zanatc for the six weeks. dunno why that works, but it does.
ultrasounds show it could be ovarian cyst problem, but nothing conclusive. they mainly just show that i'm not bleeding to death.
I wish i knew what it was too! it strikes out of the blue and is extremely painful and takes six weeks to heal, whatever it is.
cottonw

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here