Question: Abnormal IBS related symtoms?

Heather - Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:42 am

I've suffered from certain symptoms (significant bloating, flatulence, occasional reflux, abdomen pains, abnormal bowel movements etc) for a few years since i was about 14 and they have progressively got worse each year.
During the past sixth months i have visited the doctors and they told me i have IBS however they didnt do many tests...just a celiac one and one to rule out the presence of helicobactter pylori.
I suffer geatly with flatulence but the new tablets ( antispasmodal)i have are helping slightly, however during the past six weeks i have developed a very unpleasant symptom of having a horrible noticeable constant gassy odour which is present whether im passing wind or not, even when i don't need the toilet or have just had a showe and i have no idea what is causing it or how to get rid of it. It is causing me huge difficulties at present as i cannot mix with people so i very aely see my friends, have difficulty going to any lectures and eve bus journeys are horrible and embarressing. I have found it very difficult to cnfinde in anyone about it and the last doctor i went to was absoltely no help what soever.
Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

The common causes of excess gas are :
- Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
- Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).
- It could be also IBS related.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
The disease can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.

I advise you to
- Increase the amount of fluid intake especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages as well as foods that cause gas.
- some medications may help like:
Activated charcoal tablets
Enzymes that improve digestion and
Antacids

|