Question: Enlarged Spleen

tekra - Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:15 pm

I went to the hospital about tw months ago because I was throwing up after being sick all weekend and cold not keep anything down. I was given meds for the stomach sickness and xrays of the abdomen showed a shade on my liver. After doing a cat scan it was normal.The GI doctor made an appointment with me for a follow up and told me that I showed an enlarged Spleen which he is going to order another test. I really don't have any other symptoms except I am being treated for joint pain by another doctor with an antiinflamitory. That dr. did blood tests to see if I had any kind of auto imune desease. My question is: Could my joint pain be related to my enlarged spleen that the specialist will be doing another test on?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:43 am

User avatar Hi tekra,
Although many conditions may result in an enlarged spleen to answer your question can the enlarged spleen and joint pain be connected, yes they may be. My questions for you are, which joints are affected by the pain? Do you have any rash present and if so where is it located?
 tekra - Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:06 pm

I have no rash or any other symtoms except joint pain in my hands,knees,wrists and back pain. I seem to have a lot of anxiety also which the doctors are saying could be the reason for the joint pain. I am worried about the enlarge spleen which dosent help. Any additional information regarding the Spleen will be helpful.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:53 am

User avatar Hi tekra,
There are many disorders that cause the spleen to enlarge. The goal is to identify the underlying problem. The spleen essentially filters defective cells and removes them from the blood stream. Some disorders that may cause enlargement of the spleen are certain infections, autoimmune disorders, blood disorders, myeloproliferative disorders, hemolytic anemia's, etc., etc. As for your joint pain, are you being evaluated by a Rheumatologist? Did the tests for any autoimmune disease come back negative? Have you had a standard CBC (complete blood count) and if so were any abnormalities shown?
 tekra - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:35 am

The blood work from the hospital over a month ago when the enlarged spleen was diagnosed was pretty normal except for a slight he Gastro MD said he didnt see any concern for that due to the flu that I came into the hospital with and disappeared after that. The pain in my joints started a few weeks later which I saw my family doctor and she ran some tests for all of the auto immune stuff and rheumatoid tests that came back normal. She put me on Meloxicam for inflamation and also told me that I was very anxious and I needed to exercise more. In the meantime my appointment came up with the Gastro doctor which is like 2 months later and he tells me about the enlarged spleen which he scheduled the magnetic imaging test for this wednesday. I find it really odd that they waited a whole month, almost 3 months to bring me in for a follow up to tell me that. This whole thing has made me very nervious so I guess I am looking for someone to talk to me about it.
Thanks aagin
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 am

User avatar Hi tekra,
I hope that when your time permits that you will consider posting a follow up. We wish you the best.
 tekra - Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:57 pm

Just finished all my tests including blood work for HepatitusB with full workup. The spleen is smaller then it origanlly showed up as and all blood work was normal. Thank You for your help

TEKRA[/quote]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:09 am

User avatar Hi tekra,
I am glad to hear that your tests were negative, your spleen is reducing in size and that your condition is improving. Thank you not only for your updated post but also for using http://www.doctorslounge.com

|