News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomit and Vocal Chords

DaydreamBeliever8 - Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:45 pm

Is there any kind of acid in vomit that can be damaging to your vocal chords??
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:00 am

User avatar Hi!

The stomach has gastric acid (HCl) which can be a part of the vomitus, and gastric secretions are capable of digesting meat. If it were not for the protective coating that the stomach has, the stomach itself would have been destroyed by its own secretions. Therefore, if the gastric secretions in vomitus come in contact with vocal cords which do not have required coating, it can damage the vocal cord.

Are you in touch with Alcoholics Anonymous?

Warm regards,

Bill
 notagpfan - Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:30 am

That's unbelievable!!

Where did the poster mention alchohol? I burnt my vocal cords on Monday by being ill and I haven't had a drink for over two months!

How rude.
 Reen - Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 am

notagpfan wrote:That's unbelievable!!

Where did the poster mention alchohol? I burnt my vocal cords on Monday by being ill and I haven't had a drink for over two months!

How rude.

You know, when I signed up, there was a little thing that asked for family history, allergies, and any known illnesses. The original poster may have included the alcohol issue in that little survey. Just because you cannot see it does not mean it is not there some where in the user's posted medical history.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here