Question: Vomit and Vocal Chords

DaydreamBeliever8 - Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:45 pm

Is there any kind of acid in vomit that can be damaging to your vocal chords??
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:00 am

User avatar Hi!

The stomach has gastric acid (HCl) which can be a part of the vomitus, and gastric secretions are capable of digesting meat. If it were not for the protective coating that the stomach has, the stomach itself would have been destroyed by its own secretions. Therefore, if the gastric secretions in vomitus come in contact with vocal cords which do not have required coating, it can damage the vocal cord.

Are you in touch with Alcoholics Anonymous?

Warm regards,

Bill
 notagpfan - Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:30 am

That's unbelievable!!

Where did the poster mention alchohol? I burnt my vocal cords on Monday by being ill and I haven't had a drink for over two months!

How rude.
 Reen - Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 am

notagpfan wrote:That's unbelievable!!

How rude.

You know, when I signed up, there was a little thing that asked for family history, allergies, and any known illnesses. The original poster may have included the alcohol issue in that little survey. Just because you cannot see it does not mean it is not there some where in the user's posted medical history.

|