Question: Foul smelling discharge

little_miss_mortisha - Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:38 am

My bf recently told me that for quite a few months my discharge has been smelling quite odd - he described it as a garlic smell, and it was only yesterday that i realised i could smell it too but i had never really registered it.

I don't eat garlic often, only once in a blue moon so this is puzzling me! He also said that my saliva can taste/smell of it too. I am very worried as i always take a lot of care in my hygiene. Could this be a thrush related problem? Or something different? I was told that i had excess bacteria in my stomach, could that count for it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

im very worried.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:48 am

User avatar Any time you have an unusual, especially foul smelling vaginal discharge, you need to see a doctor for a test to rule out any possible infection/STD. Many infection/STDs have no symptoms, so I suggest you see your doctor.

It does not sound like thrush, unless the discharge is white and has a cottage cheese consistency, and you have having itching/swelling/redness and/or are tender to the touch.
 little_miss_mortisha - Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:54 am

Ty so much for your quick reply, i am really grateful :)

Would this be an infection that could have lasted a year though? Im certain i don't have an STD as my partner is my only partner and im his, and we always wear a condom.

I guess what im finsing difficult is the suggestion that the smell is 'garlicky' and its in my saliva too.

Thank you though, i think i will make that appointment :)
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:23 pm

User avatar I would suggest getting a full physical, then, besides the GYN check, just to be safe. This is an uncommon occurence. It can possibly be something to do with other spices you eat besides garlic, too. Best to be on the safe side, though.
 little_miss_mortisha - Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

thank you so much for your help :)
 alwaysworried12 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Ok, now my problem may seem similar but its not. I was diagnosed with HPV in May of 2007. The reason that made me be checked was the fact that I had bumps, but I had no idea what they were. Later I found them to be genital warts. I also had a very harsh smelling discharge. Like fish or just a plain dirty genital area. It's now almost six months past and i find myself looking at almost the same situation minus the bumps. See I had some of the medication left over from the last GYN visit, some 7-day vaginal yeast medication that had to be inserted through a tube, so i use this medication because after a trip to California I see that I have the smelly discharge again. Keep in mind this is about two months ago. I used the cream. Its been soo long and the smell is still there. I'm so worried about this, its unbearable. HELP !

|