Question: breast discharge, sign of early pregnancy?

momoftwo_texas - Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:33 am

Hi I am a mother of two my youngest is 18 months old and she was breastfeed for a year, I was able to wean her and dry completely up within a week, I was producing significantly less milk and that is the reason that I weaned her, I never had any problems with mastisis or anything. I completely dried up. Last night before I took a shower I observed my breasts in the mirror and they did not look right, The glands in my aerola are more prominant . I tested for milk and I was able to squueze milk out of my left breast only . Have not been able to get any milk prior to last night, It seemed that it was coming from one of my ducts and a Montgomery's gland that was right above it. My husband does not really stimulate my breasts during intercourse and we only have sex once or twice a week

History last menses , October 24th (first day)
Sexually active , had sex around the 4th and the 6th several times with husband , No protection
Had lower abdominal pain and backache last week
took pregnancy test this A.M. and was negative ( I think there is a line there but you can barely see it)
Been moody and have had lots of stress lately.
My daughter was born 6 weeks early and I was producing milk with her from 3 months till she was born and my O.B. said that might have been one of the reasons that she was early. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will answer any questions that are required, I am no longer covered by insurance and found this Miracle sight, Thanks to all the Doctors and nurses that give their time and energy to such a great site!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:13 pm

User avatar If you started your period Oct. 24, and had sex around the 4th of Nov. it is possible to become pregnant, this is a very fertile time.

If you took a pregnancy test, and saw a line, no matter how faint, that usually is a positive result.

I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor for a blood test to confirm.

There are many free clinics that can help with prenatal care if you do not have insurance.

Good luck
 momoftwo_texas - Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Well I thought that I saw a line but when I look at it now I can see no line so, If a pregnancy test is showing up not pregnant and I am still having a breast discharge what else could it be? I will take another test in 2 weeks if I have not started by then. Thank you for your responses.

I just worry a little because my daugter was premature and I was trying to go into labor with her from 30 weeks onward, Bedrest and terbutaline kept me from having her until my water ruptured at 34 weeks.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:24 am

User avatar How long after did you look at the pregnancy test again? If you check a pregnancy test after 10 minutes, the results can be wrong.

Hormones can cause breast disharge. How much were you able to expel?
 momoftwo_texas - Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:35 am

I was able to squeeze out about three drops..

The Pregnancy test was one of those with two lines all I saw on the line that was suppose to appear if you were pregnant was the Clear outline and it never did turn any color. Still as of today no signs that my period is emminent, I usually have lose bowels for like a week before I start, But I do have a tender abdomen and my breasts are not all that sore.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:53 pm

User avatar First of all, take a second pregnancy test.

Release of breast milk can mean that the hormones causing milk production are out of balance. This condition is called galactorrhea. Release of a liquid other than breast milk can be a sign of infection, inflammation, or a tumor in the breast.
The pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, and ovarian glands all release hormones that govern production of breast milk. If the thyroid gland is not producing enough hormone it can lead to untimely release of breast milk. Another explanation is a benign (non-cancerous) growth on the pituitary gland. In these cases, menstruation usually stops as well.

Other causes are stress, sexual stimulation, and drugs, including birth control pills, marijuana, narcotics, anesthetics, reserpine (Diupres, Hydropres, others), methyldopa (Aldomet), antidepressants, and other medications prescribed
for mental and emotional problems

If the next pregnancy test you take is negative, and you still do not have a period, you may want to schedule an appointment with a doctor to find out what is causing this.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/famplan/default.shtm
This website is for the Family planning of Texas. You can go to this site and find a clinic in your area that offers free of low cost gynecological services.
 momoftwo_texas - Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:38 pm

Thank you Gracie for your concern, I tried to call my OB that I had when I had my daughter and I left a message and he never called me back. SOOO

I will take a second pregnancy test and see if anything happens if not I will go to my nearest clinic and try to see why this is happening to me.

Once again I appreciate it .

|