Question: advise on getting pregnant

ronnie - Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:26 pm

two years ago, i fell and fractured my spine ( L1 ). due to this I suffer with back pain and I am also taking alot of pain killers.
I am now wanting to have a baby but I do not know whether it is wise due to all the medication I take. Please can you tell me if I would have to stop taking the medication if I got pregnant and due to being on all this medication has it reduced my chances of getting pregnant. :?: :?: :?:
I am taking the following medication..........
Tramadol hydrochloride 200mg
Dihydrocodeine 30mg
Arcoxia (etoricoxib) 90mg
Amitriptyline 25mg.

Look forward to hearing your reply.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 pm

User avatar dear
based on the drugs u have listed:

tramadol, is centrally acting analgesic and it is pregnancy category c, it is not recommended to be used in pregnancy unless benefits> risks

arcoxia is an NSAID , and these drugs should not be used during pregnancy, due to their bad side effects on fetus especially the renal organs.

as far as for amitriptyline, this one of the tricyclic antidepressant drugs, and they are classified as pregnancy category D by the FDA, therefor, doctors should avoid using them, unless there is a benefit for the patient when compared to the risks. their use howver, has been associated with fetal abnormal developments.

hope that helped.
in general, for pain management, tylenol, remains the safest to use during pregnancy, and daily dose should never exceed 4 g.
thank you and i hope that helped

|