News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Irregular bleeding and lactating breast

pearl - Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:19 pm

My period is always on schedule, every 28 days, expect for the last couple of months. I got my period on 10/24 and it lasted it usual 5 days. Then on 11/10 i started spotting and later on in the day it became my period. Now its 11/25 and i'm spotting again but now my breast is leaking milk. i've taken a pregnancy test but it was negative. are there any other reasons this can be happening to me?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:54 am

User avatar Hello,
I hope you are already feeling better.
Polymenorrhea is clinically defined as menstruation at regular cycle intervals but at higher frequency. Clinically, it is defined as a cycle length of less than 21 days.[1,2]

The presence of galactorrhea, as determined by the history or physical examination, may indicate underlying hyperprolactinemia, which can cause irregular cycles but more commonly leads to oligo-ovulation or eventual amenorrhea. A prolactin level confirms the diagnosis of hyperprolactinemia.
If galactorrhea is accompanied by headache, visual-field disturbance then a pituitary adenoma must be excluded.

A number of medications and drugs can also cause galactorrhea as a side-effect. Hormonal therapies (like oral contraceptives), drugs for treatment of depression or other psychiatric conditions, tranquilizers, morphine, heroin, and some medications for high blood pressure can cause galactorrhea.

If your symptoms continue and you haven't been to your doctor, please do so as soon as possible.

References:
==========
1. Petrozza J, Poley K. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. In: Curtis MG, Hopkins MP, eds. Glass's office gynecology. 5th ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1999;241-64.
2. Speroff L, Glass RH, Kase NG, eds. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. In: Clinical gynecologic endocrinology and infertility. 5th ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1994:575-93.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here