Question: Pain after intercourse

vero2angel - Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:42 pm

I have quite a few problems with me but one that concerns me is when after me and my husband have intercourse, i go to the restroom to urinate and my vagina hurts,stings really bad. We don't have sex all the time only 2 days a week and that is because it hurts me. is this normal or what is it :?: When this started was about 3 years after our son was born, never before. please help me .....mrs. V
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:26 am

Dyspareunia refers to sexual dysfunction manifested as painful or difficult sexual intercourse.[1] Although this problem can affect men, it is more common in women. For women, the genital pain can occur with penetration or during or after intercourse.[2] True dyspareunia is recurrent and associated with a disruption of normal functioning.

Many changes, both psychological and physiologic, during pregnancy and puerperium can result in dyspareunia.[3] Studies have shown a general decrease in frequency of intercourse which may be as a result of dyspareunia.[4]

Puerperium (the postnatal period beginning immediately after the birth of a child and extending for about six weeks) is associated with numerous physiologic and psychological changes for the mother. Many new mothers experience dyspareunia as the result of surgical repair (episiotomy discomfort), decreased lubrication, and vaginal atrophy.[3] Many studies have found that many women experience dyspareunia after undergoing episiotomy repair. Mediolateral episiotomy is associated with more morbidity than does the midline type.[3]

If you are experiencing burning micturition this could be a sign of urethritis. I recommend that you refer to your gynecologist for a proper evaluation of the possible causes.

References:
==========
1. Smith RP. Gynecology in primary care. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1997:537-48.
2. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: Am Psychiatric Assn, 1994:511-3.
3. Reamy KJ, White SE. Sexuality in the puerperium: a review. Arch Sex Behav 1987;16(2):165-86.
4. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Sexual dysfunction. ACOG Tech Bull 1995, No. 211. Washington, DC: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1995.

|