News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal discharge

ms_jennie - Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:07 pm

Recently I had a bladder infection, a really bad one too, I was bleeding a lot, like I was on my period. But I wasnt because i had just ended my period a week before. So now my infection is gone and im starting to have a lot of discharge. I was at the malll walking around and suddenly I felt as if I just pee. But when i went to the restroom to check it was just discharge and its been happening a lot. What is wrong with me and am I going to die?
Help me.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:30 am

User avatar Hello,
I hope you are feeling better by now.
Normal vaginal discharge is clear or white. The color and thickness of the discharge change during the monthly cycle. The discharge is thicker when a woman ovulates, when a woman breastfeeds or when a woman is sexually excited. During ovulation, about two weeks after the last menstrual period, it may become stretchy and slippery. A change in the color or amount of discharge, especially when accompanied by other symptoms, may indicate the presence of an infection.

Changes that may signal a problem include an increase in the amount of discharge, a change in the color or smell of the discharge, and irritation, itchiness or burning in or around your vagina. This is called vaginitis. The 3 most common causes of vaginitis are bacterial vaginosis, vulvovaginal candidiasis (yeast infection) and trichomoniasis.[1] Vaginal discharge may also result from sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea or chlamydia.

A white, curdlike discharge that looks like cottage cheese is a classic sign of yeast infection. Yellow, green or gray discharge is usually a sign of trichomonas or bacterial vaginosis. Bacterial vaginosis also has an unusual, fishy odor.[1] Gonorrhea and chlamydia usually don't cause any symptoms at all. In some cases they present as a new vaginal discharge accompanied by fever, abdominal pain or pain during intercourse.

Itching is usually most noticeable with a yeast infection, though it may occur with any type of infection or irritation.

The use of antibiotics, in your case to treat the bladder infection is a risk factor for the development of vaginitis. The diagnosis of the cause of your discharge can easily be established by examination and microscopic examination. If this condition is still present please consult your gynecologist as soon as possible.

References:
==========
1. Carr PL, Felsenstein D, Friedman RH. Evaluation and management of vaginitis. J Gen Intern Med 1998;13:335-46, and Sobel JD. Vaginitis. N Engl J Med 1997;337:1896-903.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here