News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Eight Weeks After Childbirth Still No Period

manda - Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:54 am

I gave birth to my second child on November 16th and I still have not received my period. I had intercourse about three weeks after giving birth. I have taken two pregnancy tests both to be negative. The gyno told me it should be anytime, I have had minor cramping and bloating. Could my stressing over the situation be causing it to be delayed or could something else be wrong. The gyno is also wanting to do an IUD should I wait until I get my period back before getting that or would it be ok now since the pregnancy tests were negative. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:53 pm

There should be no hurry to insert an intrauterine device. It is always good practice to await the onset of menstruation before attempting this procedure.

The timing and technique of fitting an IUD are critical for its subsequent performance. Devices are best fitted after the end of menstruation and before the calculated time of implantation. Pre-screening for cervicitis should ideally be performed to prevent the risk of infection which occurs in the first 20 days after insertion.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here