Question: Late Period

LittleBit - Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:17 pm

Well, I started birth control about 4 months ago. I have had my periods within the specified days and had no problems with it so far. At the beginning of this month's cycle, I accidently skipped 3 days (as I was out of town)... then my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex about a week or so after missing the pills. The last time we had unprotected sex was on New Years. I didn't worry at all... But I was supposed to start my period Sunday... It is now Tuesday and I have yet to start my period OR see any signs of my period or pregnancy. Any advice? Could I be pregnant?

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:19 am

If it has been more than 24 hours since the last pill was taken (ie, two or more missed pills), the patient should take the last pill that was missed, throw out the other missed pills and take the next pill on time. Additional contraception is used for the remainder of the cycle.

Since you didn't use additional protection then there is a possibility that you are pregnant, you are advised to get a pregnancy test now. If it turns out negative take another next week.

Good luck!

|