Question: Pain 1 week after period

dmc - Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 pm

I am experiencing ovarian pain (right side) and it is only one week after my period. My last period was very light. I generally am on a 35 day cycle with 3-5 days of bleeding. I have an appt with a gyn in about 2 months, but was wondering if you could give me an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Have you excluded pregnancy?

Mittelschmerz is one-sided lower abdominal pain that occurs in women at or around the time of ovulation. About 20% of women experience mittelschmerz. Mittelschmerz may be felt on one side one month, then switch to the opposite side the next month, or it may be felt on the same side for several months in succession.

It could be the result of a hormonal disturbance which is common and self regulatory.

Acute pelvic pain in a woman on one side may also result from hemorrhagic corpus luteum cysts, intraperitoneal hemorrhage or leakage of an irritating fluid from a cyst (such as a ruptured teratoma), ruptured tubal pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, or torsion of an adnexa.

After you exclude pregnancy it would be a good idea to have an evaluation.