Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers
"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."
Forum Name: Obstetrics
Question: Should I change Doctors?
|Texas40 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:21 pm|
I am 40 years old, 35 weeks pregnant with hypertension and GERD (both diseases diagnosed 3 years earlier). Right now, I take Aldomet, Zantac/Prevacid, Repliva. I had my first baby at 28 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I originally had a different OB who said I would be on bedrest one month prior to my due date. But I had to change doctors because my insurance changed. The Ob I have now is nice, but I question her judgment. She is too flighty and doesn’t talk to me like an adult. She has not scheduled my c-section, and I’m due March 4th. She keeps saying “oh, due dates can be 2 weeks before or after”…Here are examples of why I’m concerned:
1. My feet swell so big by the afternoon, that sometimes I can’t even walk on them. She told me to get maternity support hose. She is just so blasé about everything, and not taking it seriously.
2. She told me (well her nurse did) that I had HPV and needed a colposcopy (biopsy of the cervix). She said because I had gotten an abnormal pap smear. I had let her know from the beginning, my pap smears have always come back abnormal since I was 16. (endometriosis) I refused the 1st time. But then I came in for an appt (I was 30 weeks) and they were ready to perform the procedure. And they did. The tests came back normal.
3. For over 3 months, she said “That the good bacteria in my vagina were not winning the fight with the bad, and it might be yeast” I told her I hadn’t had any itching or burning, but she prescribed Gynecol. Which has a lot of side effects. I took it, no difference.
4. Finally, I look on the internet and suspected maybe I have Bacteria Vaginosis. But on Jan 19, I started having pain in my side, I went to work the next day it got worse, I called her office and she said it could be constipation and prescribed Colace, I took it, but Sat morning the pain radiated thru my back even worse. That night around 12:30 I started having contractions and horrible pain. I went to the ER, suffering from pre-term labor. My BP was 140/98. They called her and she prescribed a shot to stop the labor, and let me go home that morning with just a sleeping pill.
5. I went to her office on that Monday, she said I was fine, that happens sometimes but the (fibronectyin?) test they gave me was negative, so I probably wouldn’t go into labor for the next 2 weeks. I asked her what was the shot I received to stop the labor. She said she didn’t know, and started laughing. I asked her point blank do I have BV, and she said yes, and started with the “good/bad bacteria” speech. I took Cleocin for the BV, which has left me with extreme burning and itching.
I made an appointment to see her this week; I decided to inform her I want my c-section scheduled for February 23rd, my 38th week, since she can’t seem to make a decision. My sonogram doctor said I should have had my operation scheduled already. Am I over reacting?
My previous c-section was vertical, and because of the high risk with my blood pressure and rupture of the uterus, I cannot have a baby vaginally. I just need some advice on what to do.
|MaryAnn N, RN - Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:06 am|
You have some very real concerns. It is important to feel comforatable with your doctor as that you should be able to ask him/her whatever you want without fear of not geting them answered. Trust in your case the most important factor is gone. I would consider changing doctors. However, you are so close to delivery, that may be next to impossible. Is your current doctor in a group practice? Perhaps one of the other doctors in this practice could take over your care. If she practices alone, you could make some calls to other doctors that are on your insurance list to see if they would accept you as a new patient despite your close delivery date. Good luck with your delivery. Write us and let us know how you and your new baby are doing.
|Texas40 - Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 am|
Hi, thank you so much for your concern. Well since that posting, I was put in the hospital, I didn't know why until I got there... (PIH), but I was released after 3 days. My doctor has now put me on bed rest and is acting concern about my bp. She says she can't schedule a c-section, but they are monitoring my bp, and want me to go as far with pregnancy as I can. So right now I'm stuck with her. Right now my baby is 6 lbs, my sono said I was 35 weeks; she said I was less than that. I am monitoring my bp at home and will go to the hospital if I see it go up too high, or I have any symptoms, since this is my second go round with this, I do have a little knowledge on what do. I will keep you posted on what is going on with me. Thank you so much, because I really felt like I was alone out there.
|MaryAnn N, RN - Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:15 am|
You are welcome. Thanks for the update. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask us.
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.