Question: Bleeding after a hysterectomy 15yrs ago

bluesue - Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Hello to everyone
i am 47 female in 1989 i had a hysterectomy for abnormal cells my mother also had a hysterectomy for cancer at the age of 65(aprox) there were a few poblems after with not being able to use my bowels properly.
the question i would like to ask is :
is normal to have bleeding after every time that sexual intercourse takes place the bleeding is very red and enough that i have to wear a towel to sleep. then a couple of days later it stops till the next time. i am a sevier asthmatic on nebuliser solutions 4 times a day and steriod tablets and oxygen at home i have been told that its nothing to worry about. but it still bothers me as i don't know if this is normal.
any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Bleeding after sexual intercourse is known as postcoital bleeding.

Postcoital bleeding may result from atrophy of the vaginal and vulvar epithelium (atrophic vaginitis). This can happen as a result of menopause but can be seen in premenopausal women. Even quite minor traumatic lesions may cause severe postcoital bleeding if co-existent coagulation disorder.

Please discuss with your doctor the possibility that this is due to atrophic vaginitis and the medication appropriate for your case.

References:
==========
1. Rosenthal AN, Panoskaltsis T, Smith T, Soutter WP. The frequency of significant pathology in women attending a general gynaecological service for postcoital bleeding. BJOG 2001;108:103-6.

|