"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Bleeding after a hysterectomy 15yrs ago

bluesue - Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Hello to everyone
i am 47 female in 1989 i had a hysterectomy for abnormal cells my mother also had a hysterectomy for cancer at the age of 65(aprox) there were a few poblems after with not being able to use my bowels properly.
the question i would like to ask is :
is normal to have bleeding after every time that sexual intercourse takes place the bleeding is very red and enough that i have to wear a towel to sleep. then a couple of days later it stops till the next time. i am a sevier asthmatic on nebuliser solutions 4 times a day and steriod tablets and oxygen at home i have been told that its nothing to worry about. but it still bothers me as i don't know if this is normal.
any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Bleeding after sexual intercourse is known as postcoital bleeding.

Postcoital bleeding may result from atrophy of the vaginal and vulvar epithelium (atrophic vaginitis). This can happen as a result of menopause but can be seen in premenopausal women. Even quite minor traumatic lesions may cause severe postcoital bleeding if co-existent coagulation disorder.

Please discuss with your doctor the possibility that this is due to atrophic vaginitis and the medication appropriate for your case.

1. Rosenthal AN, Panoskaltsis T, Smith T, Soutter WP. The frequency of significant pathology in women attending a general gynaecological service for postcoital bleeding. BJOG 2001;108:103-6.