News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Marble sized lump

onca85 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:12 am

I was having vaginal discomfort on Tuesday night, there was nothing abnormal that i could see. wednesday i woke up with a marble sized lump on the upper part of the opening to my vagina. and the lump goes inside my vagina as well. sex is too painful, and so is walking, and even to sit up in bed hurts as well. It hurts to urinate. and i can't get a doctors appt until next week, should i go to a walk in or to the emergency?
 onca85 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:19 pm

nevermind i ended up going to the hospital, got it popped manually, it ended up being a cyst....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:35 am

User avatar Hi onca85,
My apologies for the delayed reply. Bartholin's cyst/ abcesses can be very painful disrupting normal activities including walking and sitting. Typically a specimen of the abcess drainage is sent to identify the causative bacteria and treatment with antibiotics are generally initiated. I am glad to hear that you went for treatment and are doing better.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 CrohnieToo - Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:36 am

The Bartholin glands are located to the back of the vaginal opening towards the rectum in the 4 and 8 o'clock positions so it doesnt sound like a Bartholin's gland cyst but rather some other type of cyst. Either way, certainly glad you've gotten relief!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 am

User avatar Hello,

Cystic vaginal lumps include: vaginal mucous cyst, cyst of the canal of Nuck, Bartholin's cyst, Skene's duct cyst, epidermal inclusion cyst, furunculosis.

Anatomically speaking Bartholin's gland are indeed located posterolateral part on either side of the labia minora (at 4 and 8 o'clock positions).

When symptoms occur, the patient may report vulvar pain, dyspareunia, inability to engage in sports and pain during walking or sitting.

Given the limitations of the internet it would be very imprecise to depend on the location reported by our patient without clinical verfication.

Certainly, with the classic symptoms and the inability to verify location, Bartholin's cyst/abscess would still remain as one possibility.

Best regards to you all.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here