Question: HELLP

tshoemake - Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:07 pm

I am 25 years old and had HELLP with my first pregnancy about 8 years ago. Since then I have had 2 miscarriages and an eptopic pregnancy. I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing extreme upper right quadrant pain for about 4 weeks off and on. I have been test for gallbladder problems...negative and my doctor did blood work to make sure it was not HELLP again but only after my husband insisted. My blood work was negative. Is it possible that I have HELLP without all of the other symptoms? My doctor tells me that it is probably just the baby and it is normal, but I do not think it is normal pain at all. I feel like she has no concern. If I do have HELLP is their something I could be doing right now to prolong delivery? Thanks for your help!
 serena - Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:59 am

firstly, stop fretting and trust your doctor.. remember that during pregnancy your ligaments and muscles soften so you fell pain where you had none before, and also baby can often sit on nerves and cause quite a lot of pain. Ask your doctor about a thing called round ligament pain, its very sore and happens when baby rests on or near a ligament. Had quite a lot of pain myself during last pregnancy and remember that since your last pregnancy you are 8 yrs older, not as young and probably not as fit!!! you'll feel it more.,
 tatbker - Thu May 25, 2006 11:39 am

Dear Tshoemake,
I just wanted to add a few things here. First off I understand why you are so worried. HELLP syndrome is a very scary thing and I can see why you would not want to live through that experience again. I just wanted to interject a idea regarding your pain in your right upper abd. that comes and goes. You state that your gallbladder tests where neg. but this does not mean that you do not have gall bladder disease. Often test for those types of thing can show nothing but indead there is something. What someone like you could do is start to keep a food diary and see if your "attacks" are associated with any types of foods that you eat. Then you can bring this to you doctor and he can help you sort through this.
As far as prolonging a pregnancy with HELLP syndrome. If you truely had HELLP you would NOT want to prolong the pregnancy. There are only a few rare instances in which a baby is safer out of the womb at 29 weeks rather than in. HELLP is life threating to the Mom and the only cure is delivery. Because of this your baby is at risk as well. Of course this is very complicated and has varying degrees before it gets to the HELLP part of the disease. You may have only very mild elevation of a particular lab or blood pressure that if you keep youself qiuet and on bed rest you may buy you self several weeks at home or in the hospital under close observation of your OBs. Each case varies greatly as with each MD.
Hope this helps a bit and I hope you find yourself happy and well.

|