News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Birth Control

gapgren - Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Ok so I have tried the pill and I was on the Depo shot for 3 years (gained 30lbs) and now im on the Nuva ring....I don't take the pill cause i forget...well I forgot with the ring and now im frusterated. What about the IUD? would that be the next step in my quest for no babies right now? Please help
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:06 pm

User avatar Hello,

NuvaRing® (etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring) is a flexible combined contraceptive vaginal ring. When placed in the vagina, each ring releases on average 0.120 mg/day of etonogestrel and 0.015 mg/day of ethinyl estradiol over a three-week period of use.

If the main problem is forgetting then an IUD would be a good option to discuss with your doctor.

Best regards.
 dixiemom8203 - Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm

My sister was told (before she got pregnant) that the IUD was only available to people who had already had a baby.....is this true?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:42 pm

User avatar That is not true about the IUD anymore. Years ago the IUD was oonly prescribed the women who had children because it was believed to potentially cause infertility.
Now the IUD is much safer, and it can be prescribed to any women weather or not they have children. It does not have the potential to cause infertility anymore.

The letters "IUD" stand for "intrauterine device."

IUDs are small, "T-shaped" contraceptive devices made of flexible plastic. IUDs are available by prescription only. A woman and her clinician decide which is the right type for her, and the clinician inserts it in her uterus to prevent pregnancy. Two types are now available in the U.S.:

ParaGard (Copper T 380A) — contains copper and can be left in place for 12 years

Mirena — continuously releases a small amount of the hormone progestin, and is effective for five years

How IUDs Work

Both kinds of IUDs work by preventing sperm from joining with an egg by affecting the way they move. The hormone in Mirena increases effectiveness. It thickens cervical mucus, which provides a barrier that prevents sperm from entering the uterus. It also prevents some women's ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation).

IUDs also alter the lining of the uterus. In theory, this may prevent pregnancy by preventing the implantation of a fertilized egg — but this has not been scientifically proven.

IUDs have a string attached that hangs down through the cervix into the vagina. A woman can make sure the IUD is in place by feeling for the string in her vagina. A clinician uses the string to remove the IUD.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here