Question: Removal of Tampon

Jumelle - Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 am

I would like some advice regarding the removal of tampons. 6 days ago when I tried to remove my tampon I couldn't find the thread and my fingers could just about reach inside and feel what I think was the end (quite spongy and about the same size). The following day I saw my doctor who tried to remove it. An internal examination with hands was tried first to which I was told she could feel it but couldn't get a proper grip as too far inside!!! So a spatula or something was then tried to no avail before reverting back to hands and then the spatula again. I was told that she could see my cervix but couldn't find a tampon and that it must have come out when I had been to the toilet. When I went home I still didn't feel right and had a little feel and it still feels as though something is up there. Could it be that my doctor missed it? Or could I perhaps have irritated or caused an infection that is causing the problem of me feeling funny? I think the fact that she thought she could feel something at first and then changed her mind is worrying me incase she did miss it and it is still inside me. I Have suffered from thrush in the past so bought some cream 3 days ago just incase but this hasn't helped.

I am 25 and I have been using tampons for 3 years now without ever having any problems. I am on no medication.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to bother my doctor again incase wasting her time.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:06 am

User avatar Hi Jumelle,
During a vaginal exam, typically an instrument called a speculum is inserted allowing visualization of the vaginal canal as well as the cervix. If a tampon had been left in place during that amount of time there would be a terribly foul odor by this point. If no tampon was visualized during the examination I would have to agree that it most likely came out on a trip to the toilet.

|