Question: Bleeding since the beginning of the year.

utleezard - Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:58 pm

I am a 24 year old female. I have a 10 month old nursing baby. At the beginning of the year my period finally came back after giving birth last April. I lightly spotted throughout January and February with a day or two break in between sometimes. Then at the end of February I had what seemed to be a normal period but slightly heavy and then a week and a half later (two days ago) I started another extremely heavy period. I have had no pain or anything abnormal except the extreme bleeding. Do I need to be worried or is this normal for nursing mothers.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:47 am

There is no way of predicting when the first menstrual period will occur after delivery. Non-nursing mothers usually begin to menstruate within 6 to 8 weeks after delivery. However, it may take as long as 12 weeks to reestablish a menstrual pattern. If you are nursing, your periods may not return for several months after you have stopped breast feeding.

It is important to remember that ovarian function may begin soon after delivery. This means that you may become pregnant even if you do not have a period.

The first period after delivery is often abnormal. This flow may be shorter or longer than before you delivered, but gradually your menstrual cycle should return to what was normal for you.

In your case, although it is normal to have irregular periods while nursing, if your period is extremely heavy, you should contact your doctor immediately.

|