Question: CT Scan and Bartholin's Gland Cyst

CrohnieToo - Mon May 29, 2006 7:27 pm

64, female, Crohn's disease. CT scan for Crohn's symptoms ordered by my gastro in mid 2004 reported a finding of:

"There appears to be some cystic areas seen inside the left labial folds. A low dense abnormality in the region of the left labial fold on the left side seen on the single scan. Extensive of cystic masses."

I meant to ask my family doctor about it but forgot about it. February of 06 I developed a painful lump/swelling in the left vaginal area and suspected a fistula. Family doctor confirmed it was a Bartholin's gland cyst and referred me to my gyn who lanced it the same day.

Could this Bartholin's gland cyst be what showed on that mid-2004 CT scan and not bothered me until early 2006? Was I remiss in not bringing the issue up to my family doctor after the 2004 CT scan?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 pm

Cystic vaginal lumps include: vaginal mucous cyst, cyst of the canal of Nuck, Bartholin's cyst, Skene's duct cyst, epidermal inclusion cyst, furunculosis.

Bartholin's gland are located posterolateral part on either side of the labia minora (at 4 and 8 o'clock positions). The glands are normally about the size of a pea and are not normally palpable. They drain into a duct approximately 2.5 cm long which opens just outside hymenal ring into a fold between the hymen and the labium.

The gland's secretions provide moisture for the vulva but are not essential for sexual lubrication; and removal of the gland does not seem to decrease vaginal moisture or sexual function.

I don't think its a serious problem. You should be fine now. If it does recurr your surgeon may decide to lance it again or to use a more extensive surgical procedure (use of a Word catheter and marsupialization) both of which can be perfomed in the office.

|