News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: CT Scan and Bartholin's Gland Cyst

CrohnieToo - Mon May 29, 2006 7:27 pm

64, female, Crohn's disease. CT scan for Crohn's symptoms ordered by my gastro in mid 2004 reported a finding of:

"There appears to be some cystic areas seen inside the left labial folds. A low dense abnormality in the region of the left labial fold on the left side seen on the single scan. Extensive of cystic masses."

I meant to ask my family doctor about it but forgot about it. February of 06 I developed a painful lump/swelling in the left vaginal area and suspected a fistula. Family doctor confirmed it was a Bartholin's gland cyst and referred me to my gyn who lanced it the same day.

Could this Bartholin's gland cyst be what showed on that mid-2004 CT scan and not bothered me until early 2006? Was I remiss in not bringing the issue up to my family doctor after the 2004 CT scan?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 pm

User avatar Hello,

Cystic vaginal lumps include: vaginal mucous cyst, cyst of the canal of Nuck, Bartholin's cyst, Skene's duct cyst, epidermal inclusion cyst, furunculosis.

Bartholin's gland are located posterolateral part on either side of the labia minora (at 4 and 8 o'clock positions). The glands are normally about the size of a pea and are not normally palpable. They drain into a duct approximately 2.5 cm long which opens just outside hymenal ring into a fold between the hymen and the labium.

The gland's secretions provide moisture for the vulva but are not essential for sexual lubrication; and removal of the gland does not seem to decrease vaginal moisture or sexual function.

I don't think its a serious problem. You should be fine now. If it does recurr your surgeon may decide to lance it again or to use a more extensive surgical procedure (use of a Word catheter and marsupialization) both of which can be perfomed in the office.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here