Question: Pregnant?!? If not, why am I leaking milk?

Mandi8578 - Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:22 pm

I'm a 21 year old female. My hubby and I have an 11 month old. My last period was April 30th 2006. I began to use nuva ring but after maybe,. not even a week, I took it out because it was falling out a lot during sex and causing infections. Everything went back to normal and well, about a week and a half before my period was due, I noticed I was leaking both milk AND colostrum. Which, I quit breastfeeding 7 months ago and had dried up. I am now 5 days late for my period. I took a bunch of hpts, 3 showed a line and/or faint lines and the last couple were barely visible.
I'm on effexor,150mg, seroquil 50mg ambien 10mg and zelnorm 6mg.
I have a bunch of symptoms, but I thought that when you're pregnant the lines get darker on the hpt's, not lighter.and if I'm not, how come I'm making milk again. I don;t think it could be my medications as I've been on them for a while and this has never happened and my ob said that nuva shouldnt cause it. I go in tuesday for a blood test. any kinda advice would be wonderful... anything i can do in the meantime... I'm not sure what the heck is going on with my body!!!
Help? :)
thanks so much!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 am

User avatar Hi Mandi8578,
If the results from the home pregnancy tests are uncertain or unclear, labwork will identify pregnancy. That would be the first step in identifying if this is the causative factor. If pregnancy is definitely ruled out, other causes of breast milk production may include hormone abnormalities, Endocrine dysfunction/thyroid/pituitary, etc. Again, pregnancy should be ruled out first, then an evaluation for any other underlying disorders completed.
 Mandi8578 - Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Thank you so much. I ended up bleeding, so I guess the next step is to figure out the cause, I appreciate it!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:46 am

User avatar Hi Mandi8578,
You are quite welcome and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
I hope that when your time permits you will consider posting an update. Our best wishes!
 Mandi8578 - Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:31 pm

the dr's tested me left and right and didnt find anything wrong except for the fact that i was sleep deprived.
Now our lil one is 15 months and I'm 6 wks pregnant with our second. Thanks so much for the advice earlier
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:09 am

User avatar Hi Mandi8578,
Thanks for the update and congratulations on your upcoming family addition. We sincerely hope your pregnancy goes smoothy. Best wishes.

|