Question: Miscarriage... scared please explain.

Catherine Fergerson - Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:53 am

I was 15 weeks, I went to the er 3:15 wednesday morning. I was sleeping felt a huge gush, something explode out of my vagina. I got up and went to the bathroom and there was a lot of blood. I immediately woke my husband, there was both blood and clear liquid all over my bed. I got dressed went to the er, they set me up in a room and I bled a WHOLE lot for hours. I bled on the floor several times, ruined at least 10 pairs of their sheets, tons of towels, 3 of their dresses, pads everything. There was just blood everywhere. The doctor game in, did an exam, blood work, ultrasound. He took some big things out of me the first exam, and when he did I gushed blood everywhere including the floor. They said my levels had gone down to 598, and that I had lost the baby. The second exam he took a bunch more bigger things out, the entire time I was feeling lots of cramps, backaches, and my insides hurt. They took me upstairs to the birthing room to see another gynocologist. She did an exam with her hand not the spectulum. She said my cervix was still high, but had closed. She said I shoudln't need a D&C and didn't want to do one, and that I could go home, and that I would bleed for a bit. She told me I could concieve within one menstrul cycle.
Yesterday right before my husband came out, I had to go to the bathroom. As soon as I started to pee, I felt something rather large coming out of me. I could actually see it, and it was already about 3 inches our of me. I sat on the toilet, for 10 minutes hoping it would just come out of me, I was both scared and shocked. They told me I may pass some tissue. I had passed small tissue earlier in the day.. but this was too big for me to pass on my own and it hurt really bad. I called an abulance and went back to the er to have it removed. They said my cervix re-opened back up.
How could this have been missed on an ultrasound. It was at least 6-7 inches long and very thick. It really scared me, and now I am nervous to go to the bathroom. Can someone please tell me everything I went through is normal? The doctors didn't tell me much of what was going on, I wasn't prepared and now Im feeling so nervous all the time. The only thing the doctor mentioned is that there was a high possiblity I was pregnaunt with more than one baby since they had already taken out most of the products the other day.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:28 pm

User avatar Catherine,

I am so very sorry for your loss. It really sadened me to read this post.

Unfortunatly, I cannot offer any encouraging adivce except that when you feel ready, you can try once again to concieve.

It does sound very possible you were pregnant with 2 babies, and passed the second one at home, Im not sure how it was missed on an ultrasound, but it is possible.
 Catherine Fergerson - Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Thanks. I am hoping to get pregnaunt as soon as possible, its very difficult because I look pregnaunt but Im not anymore.
I have heard though that the chances of pregnancy after a miscarriage increases because your body is used to being pregnaunt. Any truth in that?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:07 am

User avatar The body may still be in its preganant state, however the sudden change in hormones that are usually secreted by the placenta may stimulate the ovaries to release an egg. Women ovulate before they menstruate, and menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining when fertilization and implantation do not occur.
It very possible to get pregnant again right afetr a miscarriage, but, it isnt recommended. Most doctors would tell you to wait at least one cycle before trying to get pregnant again to give your body (and yourself) time to recover before trying to concieve again.
 Catherine Fergerson - Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:13 am

Yes she had told me to wait one cycle, as long as my next period was my usual 5-7 days long, I could try to concieve again. My breasts have been incredably sore, and I keep finding some residue stuck on the outside of my nipple and a bit of leakage, usually I need to wipe it off. Will the milk go away in the next couple of weeks? There seems to be more and more coming out each day...
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:55 pm

User avatar Your hormones are in overdrive right now. Your body was just pregnant, now its trying to get used to not being pregnant, so theres a lot going on right now.

Make sure you get plenty of rest, eat properly, take your vitamins.

All the pregnancy symptoms will subside soon, it may take a few weeks for your hormones to even out again.

|