News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Hospital staff present during delivery

mickapoo - Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 am

I went on a hospital tour of the labor and delivery floor, and was told that present during delivery are 5 hospital staff: the labor nurse, physician, technician, respiratory therapist, and nursery person. My question is, is it possible for a patient to put in a request, either with the nurse or doctor, that only the nurse, physician, and tech are present? I know the respiratory therapist and nursery worker are there for the baby once it's born, so can't they come in after you deliver? Is this a request that would be considered, or it is not even an option? Thank you.
 tatbker - Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:11 am

Dear Mickapoo,
Unless there you are expecting anything less than a normal outcome for you and your baby than there should be no need for all of those people to be present at your delivery. It is your labor and your delivery and you should you speak to your nurse upon your arrival to the hospital if not before. I would call the nurse manger of the unit and discuss it with her because it may be that the resp. therapist and nursery nurse only come in a case when needed and when needed you of course would want them there. But in any other case you would want your newborn handed to YOU after YOU have delivered it.
I am a labor nurse on a very busy labor unit and we have 2 labor RNs and a MD or CNM attending our deliveries and only invite the special nursery care staff in when needed. This may be the case at this hospital as well and if not you go ahead and demand that. What you are asking is not unreasonable AT ALL!!
GOOD LUCK!!! and the best to you and your family.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here