Question: ovarian cyst??

clairebear9898 - Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm

I'm an 18 y/o female with pretty regular periods. I've had a cyst before on my right ovary. It was pretty big but eventually went away on its own after about a month. Recently, I've been having some pain in my lower abdomen on the right side. It feels like cyst pain, so I'm pretty sure that it is. So, is it really worth going to the gynocologist to have an ultrasound sometime within the next few days, or should I wait for my period to come (about 1 1/2 weeks away) and see if the pain goes away??

One more question. For my previous ultrasound, they told me to not urinate a few hours beforehand so that I could have a full bladder.....well I definitely had a full bladder and was extremely uncomfortable. Can't an adult bladder "fill up" just from drinking a glass of water 20 minutes ahead of time...not 3 hours??
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:41 am

User avatar Hi clairebear9898,
Cysts related to ovulation typically subside after a menstrual cycle. You may want to inform your physician that you are having this type of pain again. Twenty minutes is not really an adequate amount of time for the bladder to fill after consuming a glass of water. It takes a little time for the body to process digestion and the kidneys to filter waste products and produce urine in the bladder.

|