News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Pregnancy symptoms post-hysterectomy

christie321 - Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:12 pm

I have two children but I had to have a hysterectomy in 2000. For the past week or so I've had feelings in my lower abdomen that feel exactly like the movements you would feel in the 15th or 16th weeks of pregnancy. They are sporadic and strong enough that my husband has been able to feel them. I have gained about 15 pounds in the last 3 months or so. I feel like I tire easily as well. I have not been nauseated as I was with my second child, but I was not nauseated at all with my first child.

I feel like I'm crazy for even thinking that I could be pregnant, but other than when I was pregnant for my two children, I've never felt these things before. I took a home pregnancy test that came back negative. I've done some research and while pregnancy post-hysterectomy is not unheard of, it is extremely rare.

Since the possibility of being pregnant is highly unlikely, is there any other medical condition that could explain these symptoms? Should I explore the pregnancy possibility any further by scheduling an appointment with my doctor or does the negative pregnancy test totally rule out that possibility? I do not think this could be something psychosomatic because my husband and I do not even want more children, so it's not been an unfulfilled dream.

Any advice or education you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for providing this service to those of us with questions.
 christie321 - Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:29 pm

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention above that with my hysterectomy my uterus and cervix were removed but my ovaries and fallopian tubes were left and are in good shape. Thanks again for any information you can give me.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here