News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Brown Discharge

MelissaMcDonald - Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:20 pm

I have been having this problem for several years but my docters always shunned it off for something to not be concerned with, however I am. Everytime I get off of birth control I have brown heavy bleeding for MONTHS afterwards. I have never been pregnant or anything. I have been on birthcontrol for about seven years now.I use to be on Orth Tri Cyclen and when I was on that I experienced the brown discharge so my DR switched me to NUVARing becasue of the lower dosage. However, I got out of a relationship and decided to get off of birth control and the discharge is back. How long does this typically last? It's very embarassing and concerning. There is no foul odor or anything, just brown old blood. Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:44 pm

User avatar Hello,

Nuvaring is a contraceptive vaginal ring releasing etonogestrel 120 microg and ethinyl oestradiol 15 microg daily over a period of 3 weeks then a one week rest, in which withdrawal bleeding occurs (ring free week).

Bleeding before, or after, the ring-free week is considered early or late withdrawal bleeding, respectively by researchers.
withdrawal bleeding is usually in the form of spotting in most of cases, and in 20% of users it can be a late withdrwal bleeding . Average withdrawal bleeding is expected to be 4-5 days.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here