Question: Prolonged Period

Jennie8810 - Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Hi my name is Jenn and I'm 24 years old. I've been on my period for 13 days! ...However, it began with 'spotting' the first 3 days, then extremely light bleeding the next 3 days, and then even lighter after that...This has never happened to me before- my periods have always lasted 4 days, and have been pretty regular. Lately I've been taking Serax/Oxazepam for my anxiety, but I know of the side effects. Something's going on with my body, please help!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:04 am

User avatar Jenn:

There are a couple of possibilities. I doubt this is a problem linked to oxazepam/Serax, directly, anyway. If you experienced irregular periods during the time you had so much anxiety, however, and now oxazepam is relieveing the anxiety, it is possible that your period is heavier due to that.

On the other hand, you could be experiencing something completely unrelated to your anxiety and oxazepam, such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, etc. Another possibility is use of oral contraceptives/depot contraceptives. Has there been any change in dose, medicine, or could you be overdue for your DepoProvera?

The best thing for you to do right now is schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN for a pap smear and examination. This will help to eliminate any gynecologic reasons for this.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

|