News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: I think that I may be pregnant.Will someone please help me?

 92491 - Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:50 pm

I am a 15 year old female and I believe that I may be pregnant. I had sex with my boyfriend 12 days ago and he had two orgasms in me without any protection.I have been having large amounts of discharge from my vagina,lower back cramps,and I feel bloated especially at night.On rare occasion I have slight feeling that I am going to vomit and my breasts feel heavy. I was on the depo shot for 3 months before I had sex with him but I didn't know that the shot had already run out until 2 days after intercourse. I took a test about a week after I had sex and it was negative.Maybe I took it too soon?Is there any possible way that I am pregnant?I would really appriciate some help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:01 pm

User avatar Hello,

A pregnancy test is a test that examine for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) that is positive when women are pregnant. The test can be done using blood or urine sample.
However, a blood test scan tell if the woman is pregnant or not few days (6-8 days) from ovulation and fertilization. The test can gives a clear answer for pregnancy, as well as an idea about the pregnancy duration in weeks by a quantitative analysis.

Testing for urine on the other hand, is better done one week after a missed period. One negative result (especially soon after a missed period) is not enough to exclude pregnancy and the test should be repeated there after or blood test is done. Some antibiotics and contraceptive pills interfere with the test and should be avoided.

The symptoms you have described although do occur in pregnancy, they are not specific and may occur due to several other causes even in stressed female.

You may either do a blood test or repeat your urine test as mentioned before.
Hope this information is useful.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.