News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: getting pregnant without having periods

lisakay1111 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 am

Hi, i am a female and im 28 years old. I havent been regular with my periods since after my son was born 7 years ago. The only time I can have a period is while im on birth control. I stopped birth control since we want to have a baby and yet again I'm not having my periods. My question is can you get pregnant while not having a period? Also, I recently had a hernia surgery and they found endometriosis. Can that affect getting pregnant also? Thanks so much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar Endometriosis can have a significant impact on the ability to get pregnant. It can also have an impact on the menstrual cycle if severe enough.

As for being able to get pregnant without a period, it is possible but given your situation less likely. What would essentially happen is that ovulation would occur and if the egg was not fertilized, a period would ensue. However, if during the random cycle that did result in ovulation also resulted in fertilization, the embryo may successfully implant and suppress the period that would have occurred.

In someone who has had absent periods for a long time, it is most likely that ovulation is not occurring, making pregnancy not possible. Simply not having a period for several months does not, however, guarantee that ovulation will not occur with the next cycle so pregnancy cannot necessarily be considered impossible.

I would recommend talking with your OB if you are trying to get pregnant. There are treatments for endometriosis that can help increase the odds of pregnancy. Also, you'll want to find out why you are not having regular periods as this may impact your ability to conceive.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here