News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Herpies

Micheller - Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:41 am

I am a 32 year old female. Years ago I had been diagnosed with herpies. My husband was told by his doctor that this was just an irratation from his athletes feet. That when he put his underwear on before he put his socks on he was pulling his athletes feet problem to his privates. Being young his believed this. Now that I have this problem I was wondering. I see all these commericals about medication for herpies. I only have sores maybe once or twice a year. Is it common to have sores so few times a year? I am not taking any medication for this but should i conciderate? I also wanted to know about cold sores. I was always told that cold sores are a form of herpies. Is there a difference between the two other than location?
Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 pm

User avatar Hello,

Herpes simplex is one of the sexually transmitted disease. Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type2.

It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion)
genital irritation, itching, they burst into
The sores turns into crust, that scab
and heal in about 3 weeks.

Special tests include:
Blood tests,
Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions
Viral cell culture test

- Cold sores are caused by Herpes simplex virus type 1 another strain of herpes virus. This could occur during periods of immunocompromise like, severe physical, mental stress, other infections, in diabetics and individuals on steroids or immunosuppressive drugs.

I think what the doctor said to your husband is that he is infected with a type on fungal infection and not a virus form.

I advise you and your husband to be properly investigated and treated.

Keep us updated.
Best regards

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here