News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: What is Normal Vaginal Discharge.

jns9 - Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Hi. I'm a 21 year old female who has been seeing the Ob-Gyn since I was 18. I am not sure what "normal" vaginal dishcarge is, but I feel that mine is not normal. I have asked my doctor to examine me, and she says I am healthy. The discharge has an unpleasant odor to it and can range from being white/cloudy to even yellowish. It sometimes is thick and stingy while can also be watery. It is very uncomfortable and makes me self-conscious sometimes. Often times I will just wear a tampon to help soak up the discharge to avoid the smell. Sometimes I can notice it outside my clothes. Should I get another opinion from the obgyn or is this normal? If it is...it stinks! HELP! I am not sexually active.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 pm

User avatar The amount of vaginal discharge that is "normal" can vary from woman to woman. Aditionally, cervical/vaginal mucous can change through out the monthly cycle to be more watery vs. thicker.

Typically, however, "normal" vaginal discharge is not malodorous. Excessive discharge that has a bad odor can be a sign of a yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis, or another infection. These can be tested for by doing a microscopic evaluation of the discharge to look for yeast or excess bacteria. As you are not sexually active, STD's such as chlamydia and gonorhea are essentially ruled out. Any sexual contact can put you at risk for acquiring an STD, however; so if you have had any chance of being exposed I would recommend being evaluated for these as well.

I would suggest following up with your gynecologist for reevaluation. If your doctor is in agreement it may be worthwhile to try an emperic treatment for a yeast infection since they are so common.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here