Question: Pelvic pain and light brown discharge

aprilgirl12 - Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:17 pm

HI, I'm a 20 year old female. I have always had irregular periods and was thought to have PCOS after having an pelvic US, but it was never a for sure diagnosis, always just possible. I eventually went on BC (Diane35) to regulate my period, after trying other things including medroxyprogesterone. However, the BC raised by BP so after less than a year on it I had to stop taking it. It has now been almost two months since I have been off it, and therefore, two months since my last period. Over a week ago I started to have bad pain in my RLQ, that is also sometimes present in the LLQ as well. Also around the same time I started to have a light brown/beige discharge, which is also ongoing. Currently I am taking Nexum, for an ongoing GI investigation, for epigastic pain and nausea, with no diagnosis. Could these two things be related? Other than that I am a completely healthy individual.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:26 am

Dear aprilgirl12,

Hve you ever had a pelvic ultrasound? If not,please ask your gynaecologist to do it for you so we can reach a proper diagnosis and find the appropriate treatment for your problems.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:48 am

Yes I agree with Dr. Wafaa you should consult your gynecologist especially regarding the pelvic pain.

Do you have a fever?

Brown discharge usually indicates "old blood".
Spotting may happen right after periods, and is just "cleaning out" your vagina. This may be caused from the uterus not completely shedding the products of menstruation, minor vaginal/cervical trauma during intercourse, hormonal imbalances. This is also occasionally be experienced by women on oral contraceptives.

Sometimes early in pregnancy you may have spotting or a brownish discharge at the time your period would normally come. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test.

aprilgirl12 - Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have had an ultrasound recently but haven't gotten the results back yet. As well, I am not pregnant so that eliminates that. The discharge is more of a light brown/beige, unlike brown blood, which is darker, and occasionally I have had some discharge that is streaked with blood. The pelvic pain still remains, but is more promenant on the right side. Any help would be appreciated.

|