News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND FOR VIRGINS?

Anonymous - Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 pm

Is this possible? and are there other kinds of transducers used?

please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

User avatar The answer to your question is: maybe. Often women will have a ruptured hymen even if they are virgins due to bike riding, etc. If the hymen is not intact, or if the hymen has a sufficient opening through it a vaginal ultrasound is generally possible. If the hymenal opening is not sufficiently large a transvaginal ultrasound may not be possible. Part of this ability lies in the experience of the ultrasound technician as well. Some are better at performing these ultrasounds than others.

The transducers used for transvaginal ultrasounds are generally quite thin with a slightly enlarged tip for the ultrasound probe.

If you have had a pelvic examination an ultrasound should be quite easy as the probe is a fair amount smaller than the speculum. (The smaller probes are about the size of a tampon.) Of note, there are some larger type transvaginal ultrasound probes that would probably not be the best for a virginal exam.

Hope this helps.
 Anonymous - Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm

thank you so much for your reply!

heres the thing, my last contact was 2 or 3 years before, but my parents don't know that. but stupid me, told my mom about my experience at the ob/gyn. i had no idea that that procedure was only done to non-virgins!

so now im coming up with a reason or some sort of excuse that it can also be done to virgins. from the pictures i see on the internet and articles on ultrasounds, the transducers are so much smaller than what was used on me! it had a bigger tip and than the ones i see! is it possible that there isnt one here in our country?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:05 pm

User avatar I do not know where you are from base on your post. Often, many probes are available but each individual office may only have one or two types of probes.

The type of probe that I believe you are referring does indeed have a significantly larger probe end. It would typically not be used on a virginal girl unless there was no other choice and even then may not be usable.

On a different note, broaching the subject of intercourse with your parents can be extremely difficult; however, if you are dealing with a medical problem you may benefit from their advice and reassurance.

Best wishes. Let us know if we can be of more help.
 Anonymous - Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:13 pm

ok! thank you very much for your replies! it was of great help!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here