Question: infertility/clomid question

trying38 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 am

I am a 38 yr old female. I got pregnant on the first try at 32 and delivered at 33. By 35.5 I was ready to try again. Notice that I did not have much cervical mucus at ovulation. Also periods started to change. It always came on time but very light. Used ovulation kits to determine if I was still ovulating. I was. At 36.5 got bloodwork to check hormone levels. (did not do this on day 3). Results were fine. Was given clomid & estiadol and got pregnant on first round. Had a miscarriage at 11 weeks after just turning 37. Did not have a D&C. It has been a little over a year and I have not been able to get pregnant on my own. Periods are still regular but light. Recently, I went to the dr and was given prescription for 3 rounds of clomid and estiadol. First round has not worked. I do not have the best insurance coverage for infertility and my husband is reluctant to get tested. Before I push the issue how likely is it that infertlity is due to him or do to block tubes? Am I right in thinking less likely since we have had 2 pregnancies?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:06 pm

User avatar Your question is difficult to answer. Typically in working up infertility, one of the early steps is to test the man's sperm for proper amounts and viability.

2 previous pregnancies does make a problem with the sperm a little less likely but cannot rule it out completely.

It is also possible that your tubes/uterus may not be quite as hospitable for pregnancy as it once was. This typically occurs due to changing hormone levels. Clomid can help increase chances of ovulation and may help.

If possible I would recommend you talk with a reproductive specialist; however, if this is not possible your obstetrician will likely be able to give you some good advice on how to proceed.

|