Question: implantation bleeding or period

spgebobcutie - Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:45 pm

Im 24 yrs old and trying for a baby. i don't get my period all the time. sometimes not for 3 months on end. my gynecologist had told me to take prenatal vitamins when i decide to start trying to conceive. in jan i had light bleeding that whole month right through feb. on the 3rd of march we started trying for a baby. now on the 24th i started to spot. kind of brown yet pink and not very heavy. once in awhile ill pass small blood clots. ive been cramping like i have my period and my breasts hurt a little. could i be pregnant or is this my period? if so when do i take a hpt?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm

User avatar It is possible that you are experiencing your menses but pregnancy is also possible. With irregular periods it can be difficult to determine when is optimal to take a pregnancy test.

Typically home pregnancy tests are accurate in the 5th week after the start of your last period. If you just started trying to conceive on March 3rd I would suggest you take a pregnancy test in the first week of April. If it is negative and there is still suspicion of pregnancy you should repeat it in 7 to 10 days. This should cover the earliest possible conception times.

At that point, if you continue to have irregular periods or no periods you can take a pregnancy test at 4 week intervals or just wait until you have symptoms that lead you to suspect you may be pregnant.

|