News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Logitudinal Septum

aincognitoz - Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:18 pm

1. Age: 33
2. Sex: F
3. Past diagnoses: None
4. Past surgeries: C- Section (At the time of child birth in 2005)
5. Family history: Not specific
6. Current Medications: None as such

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi:

I have a logitudinal septum in my vagina which ends near the cervix and the left side is bigger than the right side. I have not been able to intercourse because of the pain I have and we have not been able to have sex.

I had a visit with my doctor and she suggests that I should get it operated but I am in a fix as I don't know how safe it is to get it operated and I have not seen cases with such surgery history.

Kindly suggest.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:42 pm

User avatar From your description it sounds as if you have a complete longitudinal septum. Often these septums are painless; however, as it appears in your case, they can also be associated with significant pain.

In these cases the most effective management is surgery to remove the septum. The procedure will be performed by your gynecologist, generally.

If you are healthy, surgery is generally safe. There are risks associated with any surgery but healthy people generally do very well.

Your gynecologist will be able to give you more details about the surgeries and it's risks. From your description it sounds as if you would benefit from the surgery; however, the decision to have surgery should always be made with a full understanding of the risks and benefits.

If I've not reallly answered your question, please feel free to post a follow up.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here