Question: pregnancy?

jw20 - Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:24 am

I am 21 years old and I am recently engaged to my boyfriend of 6 years. We have started to have sex, but we try to be extremely careful because I am not on birth control. We do realize that anytime the penis goes into the vagina it is possible to become pregnant, which is why we use a spermicide condom. Also, he doesn't ejaculate inside of me. We simply start having intercourse with a condom and stop before he is about to ejaculate. We also try to wait until the end of my cycle. My question is, how likely is it for us to become pregnant if we are being so careful? Like I said before, we use a condom with spermicide and he never ejaculates inside of me.
Thanks in advance
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you are fairly safe; however, no method other than abstinence is 100% effective.

With proper usage, condoms are reported to have a failure rate of about 2-3%. This is with perfect usage. In reality the failure rate is more like 10-12%. The rhythm method has a failure rate approaching 40% (probably a little lower that that in reality). Coitus interuptus (withdrawal) has a failure rate of about 30%.

So, using a condom really is crucial in regards to the methods you are using.

|