Question: Chickenpox on pregnancy!!!

zeth385 - Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Hello there:
My wife has been detected with chickenpox three days ago
-actually she already got the illness like seven years ago-, and the problem is that she is pregnant (18 weeks). The little spots are not as big as they supouse to be, but the doc said it was chickenpox though. She is NOT having fever, nor any health issue. We both are scared because we know chickenpox may cause serious issues on the baby. By now she is staying at home and is not taking any meds. The doc advised us to wait 3 weeks in order to make a blood test so we can see if our baby has any problem. The truth is that I don't think is chickenpox... because she already had it.
Please I need your help!!

-Rod-
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:01 pm

User avatar It is rare to get chickenpox a second time, but some people who have immune disorders may not develop antibodies to the disease, thus they can contract it again. Has your wife actually been exposed to a known case of chicken pox? Until recently, when the vaccine became available, chickenpox was almost always out there in the general population and it was almost impossible to avoid exposure. The vast majority of adults are already immune. Vaccination has decreased the incidence and therefore will have a positive effect on pregnancy risk.

Keep in mind that 3 to 5% of babies in the general population are born with congenital defects and your baby's risk with this exposure would be only about 2%. So try not to stress too much about this. It doesn't carry the high risk of defects found with prenatal rubella exposure. The doctor can give your wife ativiral drugs to reduce the severity of the illness, but it sounds like she is not having a bad case anyway.

OTIS (Organization of Teratolgoy Information Services) has a fact sheet about chickenpox at
http://www.otispregnancy.org (English, Spanish and French languages).

Good luck and keep us posted on your wife's condition.
 zeth385 - Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks a lot for the post.
Actually, she had contact with her nephew two weeks before he got infected. It's odd because my wife's sister got chickenpox too the same week my wife did. And she -my sister inlaw- had had chikenpox on her childhood. It's a weird case, but now I'm much more eased.
Now we have to wait 'till the blood test results.

I'll keep in touch with this.

Thanks a lot.

|