Question: Menstruating Twice in a month

tee4emm - Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 am

I am a 27 years old mother of two. I had my last baby in Oct, 2006 and my menses started on March 5, 2007. On Apr 2, i saw my menses again and i had very heavy flow for 6 days, but suprisingly, on Apr 16, 14 days later, i saw my menses again with very heavy flow, its still flowing presently. I"ve always been a 28 days regular so i'm wondering what could cause this. But before i saw my period on April 16, i had some creamy, seed like discharge so i'm wondering if an infection can cause this?? Thank you.[/b]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:14 pm

User avatar My first thought is irregularity based on hormonal fluctuations relating to the resumption of menses following the birth of your baby. It is not uncommon after a woman finishes breastfeeding and periods resume that she has a very heavy and long period. This may be what has occured here, with only some brief respite times mixed in. I think it is wise to wait and see what happens over the next couple of months to see if your body regulates itself again to your normal 28 day cycle.

Other things that can cause metorrhagia (frequent periods) are medications, caffeine, alcohol and smoking. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) can also cause irregular periods. If you have other symptoms besides cycle irregularity, it would be wise to have this checked out with your health care provider. If it is a matter of hormonal imbalance your provider may recommend oral contraceptives or other combinations of estrogen/progesterone to help regulate the cycle.

An occasional "weird" cycle is usually nothing to worry about - watch and see - but if it continues you should probably have it checked out. Too much bleeding can result in anemia. I am not aware of infections causing extra menstrual cycles.

The other discharge sounds more like a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis (especially likely if you notice odor, itching and/or soreness) and if it is yeast it should be treated with an antifungal agent. Again, talk to your healthcare provider to be sure you are getting the proper treatment.

tee4emm - Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:20 am

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll just watch and see how it goes for a couple of days. U guys are doing a great job. Kudos

|