News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Menstruating Twice in a month

tee4emm - Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 am

I am a 27 years old mother of two. I had my last baby in Oct, 2006 and my menses started on March 5, 2007. On Apr 2, i saw my menses again and i had very heavy flow for 6 days, but suprisingly, on Apr 16, 14 days later, i saw my menses again with very heavy flow, its still flowing presently. I"ve always been a 28 days regular so i'm wondering what could cause this. But before i saw my period on April 16, i had some creamy, seed like discharge so i'm wondering if an infection can cause this?? Thank you.[/b]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:14 pm

User avatar My first thought is irregularity based on hormonal fluctuations relating to the resumption of menses following the birth of your baby. It is not uncommon after a woman finishes breastfeeding and periods resume that she has a very heavy and long period. This may be what has occured here, with only some brief respite times mixed in. I think it is wise to wait and see what happens over the next couple of months to see if your body regulates itself again to your normal 28 day cycle.

Other things that can cause metorrhagia (frequent periods) are medications, caffeine, alcohol and smoking. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) can also cause irregular periods. If you have other symptoms besides cycle irregularity, it would be wise to have this checked out with your health care provider. If it is a matter of hormonal imbalance your provider may recommend oral contraceptives or other combinations of estrogen/progesterone to help regulate the cycle.

An occasional "weird" cycle is usually nothing to worry about - watch and see - but if it continues you should probably have it checked out. Too much bleeding can result in anemia. I am not aware of infections causing extra menstrual cycles.

The other discharge sounds more like a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis (especially likely if you notice odor, itching and/or soreness) and if it is yeast it should be treated with an antifungal agent. Again, talk to your healthcare provider to be sure you are getting the proper treatment.

Good luck.
 tee4emm - Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:20 am

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll just watch and see how it goes for a couple of days. U guys are doing a great job. Kudos

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here