News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: ovarian cyst (rupture)

jleigh5570 - Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 pm

I am a 36 y.o. mother of 4, ages 12, 9, 7 & 6. (have also had 3 miscarriages)

I had an acute onset of fairly severe pain in my left flank area on Sat. afternoon. The pain persisted almost constantly and was not even relieved by Vicoprofin. Today I went in for an ultrasound and it showed that I had free floating fluid within my abdomen which my ob/gyn diagnosed as a ruptured ovarian cyst.

What I began to wonder was how long can a cyst be there (and grow) to the point where it could rupture? Last March (2006) I had an abdominal CT done for other reasons and it was noted that I had a rim enhancing cyst within the left adnexa and that it was suspected to be a simple ovarian cyst measuring 2.6 x 2.5. Would this cyst have remained there this long and finally grew large enough to rupture or do simple cysts just come and go?

Thank you for any info regarding this.

jleigh5570
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar Ovarian cysts are very fickle and fairly common. They can come and go on their own in a matter of weeks or months, or they can rupture, as yours did. Sometimes they cause enough trouble to require surgical removal. For most people they don't present problems, but, as you are aware, they can cause pain, A ruptured cyst can become infected so be observant for signs of this - sudden, severe abdominal pain accompanied by fever, chills, or nausea.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here